These lucky horses have a very eventful life and are very much loved by Victoria Police and the public.
They work in many situations including patrols.
You see, when people notice police officers on the street it helps to reduce the amount of crime, so you can imagine what it does when a police officer is sitting on top of a horse!
Our horses are also used to control crowds at major events like sporting games as well as occasions such as New Years Eve and National Police Remembrance Day.
Here is some more information:
- Police riders and horses train each week to keep up their skills.
- Horses need to be tall - 16.1hh or higher - to qualify for the job.
- Any colour horses are accepted.
- Horses have been used by police in Victoria since 1836.
- Training happens at the Mounted Branch Training Complex in West Meadows, near the Melbourne Airport.
- The Mounted Branch welcomes visitors in the last weekend of July each year as part of the Open House Melbourne Program.