PEP officers help all New Yorkers maintain a safe environment to enjoy.
Parks Enforcement Patrol watches parks and public spaces to ensure compliance with our rules and regulations. PEP officers educate the public on proper usage of our parks and playgrounds, and watch over our beaches and marinas, recreation centers, and other public spaces. PEP is available to assist the public with first aid, crowd control during special events, such as parades and concerts, and reaching out to individuals in need of shelter and housing.
You can spot a PEP officer by their distinct all-green uniforms and unique special patrolmen shields (allowing them to issue summonses and make arrests when needed) as they patrol all five boroughs. PEP's mission is to provide a safe and clean environment for all New Yorkers to enjoy.
Within PEP, there are specialized units that enhance our overall mission to Preserve and Protect:
- Parks Security Service: A security training experience within PEP for future employment at the private sector level.
- Mounted PEP: A specialized unit of trained equestrians, horse care, and stable management along with the enforcement of rules and regulations. Officers patrol New York City parks on horseback and provide a visible presence to deter crime;
- Mounted Auxiliary: A group of dedicated citizens volunteering via mounted patrols to ensure the preservation of our green and public spaces for the safety of our patrons through education and crime determent.
- Harbor Unit: A specialized unit trained in swift water rescue, marina and harbor patrol, and management of our nautical vessels along with the enforcement of rules and regulations. Officers patrol the waters of and are deployed throughout all five boroughs and provide a visible presence both on land and on New York waterways.
- Honor Guard: A ceremonial detail of officers and sergeants for participating in special events, such as parades, mayoral events, inaugurations, and dignitary details, such as funerals.
- Search & Rescue: True to its namesake, a unit that responds to emergency situations where teams are mobilized to search for missing persons and/or rescue individuals in distress, such as ice or water rescues.